Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Living With Diabetes


Some days are perfectly normal. You get up, have coffee, watch the news, and have breakfast. All is serene and happy. Then you realize he did not take his blood sugar levels prior to eating breakfast. He is suppose to do tha before each meal. He has been doing this everyday for 23 years. You would think he would know by now. Click Here!

The "He" I speak of is my husband, Bud. He blames everything he forgets on "I can't remember." "I don't remember." "I forgot," "How can I remember." Those are the words out of his mouth if you ask him any question! You can find some pertinent information if you look here. Click Here!

He has the doctor convinced he can't remember. She looks at me and wants to know what he had for lunch, when he took hiw blood sugar levels, how much insulin he took before each meal, and how much insulin he took right before bedtime. He convinced her that I keep up with all that!

I told the doctor I work and that I am away from home 3 or 4 days per week. I have no idea what he eats, when he eats, or if he even eats! She looks at me, clucks her tongue, and thinks what a poor wife I am. well, I have thought that also. What a poor wife I am! If I were not poor I could afford a nursemaid for him!

I also told the doctor I leave all kinds of prepared food for him to eat, but when asked why he did not eat what I left for him to eat, he merely says "I could not find it." That same sentence is repeated in answer to why he did not eat some fruit. "I could not find it," he replies. He now has 2 sentences "I could not find it" and "I forgot", which he uses conveniently in answer to whatever question you ask him.More information about diabetics can be found here.Click Here!

I have thought about shooting him. Thsi is why I chose this cartoon for this story. In all honesty, diabetes is like living with 2 or 3 different men. At times he is calm. Other times he is moody and cranky and irritable. Diabetes erupts with all those phases when his blood sugar levels are out of control! .Click Here!


Because blood sugar levels affect mood, as well as health, vitality, longevity, and general well being, it is in the interest of both husband and wife to keep the levels within the desired range, which is below 120, and preferably below 100. This is much easier said than done!

To keep blood sugar levels within that range, you must control diet, check blood sugar levels constantly, administer insulin as needed, drink ample amounts of water, and get plenty of rest. You must do this religiously, as if his life depended on it! Because it does!

This blog exists to help others through things I have already gone through with my husband as he has fought diabetes for the last 23 years. You have to laugh to survive and you must survive or die! More information available here. Click Here!

God bless you on your journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment